Discord is a famous gaming network, which allows users to interact with each other.
Just like all the other software programs, it is prone to errors, and bugs.
Enough talking, let’s check out the process.
So, you cannot install Discord due to this error.
Well, there is no definite answer to this question.
But usually, this error is caused by corrupted Discord files, your Anti-Virus messing up with the discord setting, and running the Discord application on the Administrator privileges.
There is no obvious reason that can cause this problem.
Discord error to come due to any of the above-mentioned reasons.
Instead, you have to try each of the following steps one by one and check out what works out for you.
Fix #1: Terminating the Process Via Task Manager
The first and foremost solution that you can try to fix the discord error is by terminating the whole Discord process.
Here is the simple to follow steps that you can use to terminate the Discord process.
- Close the Discord installation wizard from the settings.
- Open the task manager by clicking the taskbar.
- Now look for the Discord app in the taskbar manager.
- End all the tasks containing the name Discord.
- Now open the installation wizard again, and run the installation process again.
If this fix worked out for you, you can skip the rest of the processes, and enjoy chatting on Discord, otherwise follow the below-mentioned fixes one by one.
Fix #2: Deleting the Discord Files
The Discord file data is stored in the local files, this local app data can get corrupted, and cause problems.
To get rid of this app data, you have to delete the file data, both from the app data, and local app data.
- Firstly, close the Discord app from the Task Manager by following the above-mentioned steps.
- Open the Command Prompt or the Run Dialogue box by pressing the Win + R button.
- Type %appdata% in the Dialogue box, and click run.
- You will now have a complete list of the different app-data.
- Find Discord app data, and delete it.
- Reinstall the Discord installation process after deleting the app data.
Additionally, you can also put the Discord app data address directly into the Window’s Address bar, and delete the Discord app data.
- Go to Windows Explorer, and paste the following address.
- Delete the Discord app-data folder.
- Run the Discord installation setup.
This method is perfect for all the Script Issues right now.
If the problem stops after deleting the app data, then skip the rest of the methods, otherwise, continue reading the solutions.
Fix #3: Whitelist the Discord App Through Anti-Virus
There are numerous files in the Discord setup that are targeted by a bunch of antivirus software. When the anti-viruses target these software files, they get corrupted, and thus the installation process gets terminated.
In order to install the Discord, you have to whitelist the anti-virus database.
The whitelisting process varies from anti-virus to anti-virus.
In this blog post, we will show you how to white list the Discord files in Avast anti-virus.
- Open the Avast antivirus (either by start menu or looking up in the system tray).
- Click the Avast Protection dashboard, and open the virus chest.
- Look around for the Discord files (they will have the name “Discord” at the start or the end).
- When you have finally found the discord files, right-click on the three dots, and click on the restore, and add to the exception button.
- You have to repeat the process if there is more than one Discord file in the virus chest.
To avoid the antivirus messing up the Discord system in the future, you have to add it to the exception list.
Here is how you can easily add the Discord program to the exception list.
- Open the Avast antivirus interface.
- Click on the Menu, and open the General Settings from the menu.
- Select the Exceptions from the available options.
- Now put in the address of the folder containing the Discord Installation
- Finally, launch the Discord installation file.
If this method works out for you skip the rest of the process, otherwise, continue reading.
Fix #4: Changing the Windows Audio Video Experience Settings
Here is how you can easily change the Windows Audio Video Experience Settings:
- Launch the Run Utility application by pressing the Win + R buttons
- Type “msc” in the dialogue box, and click on the OK button.
- Now, look for the Windows Audio Video Experience from the list.
- Click on the Properties, and select the stop option.
- Now restart the option, and ensure the startup type is automatic.
- If the start-up type is not automatic, you have to select the automatic startup type, and restart the software again.
Fix #5: Run Discord Without Administrative Rights
It’s another popular fix that solved the crashing issue for a handful of people.
Here is how to run the Discord application without the administrative privileges:
- Firstly, you have to locate the Discord installation folder.
- Right-click on the folder, and go to the properties tab.
- Click on the compatibility tab.
- Now, untick the “Administrative Rights” tab, and save the settings.
Fix #6: Uninstall & Reinstall Discord
If none of the above-mentioned solutions fixed the Discord issue for you, then you have to uninstall the Discord application and reinstall it in order to get rid of the Discord issue.
Here are the simple steps that you can follow to uninstall, and then reinstall the Discord application on your PC.
- Open the Start Menu by clicking on the left bottom of your desktop screen.
- Now, search for the Control Panel, look for the “Uninstall a Program” function.
- Search for the “Discord” application, and click on uninstall.
- Now open the File Explorer, and type in “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Discord” in the search box.
- Delete the “App Data”, and the “Local App Data”.
- Finally, you have to reinstall the Discord
Fix #7: Use Discord PTB
We have mentioned all the different fixes that you can try to solve the Discord problems. If your Discord issue is not fixed then you can use the Discord PTB application to use Discord without needing to install the standard Discord.
You can download the Discord PTB from Here.
The Public Testing Beta or PTB is the beta version of the Discord application, and it is different from the main Discord application.
You can install the Discord PTB with the standard Discord application as it does not interfere with the Discord application.
The core function of the Discord PTB application is to test the latest features of the Discord application before they are finally released to the public.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There is no obvious answer to this question, as you have to do several steps in order to get rid of this error.
Some of the troubleshooting steps include closing the application, whitelisting the Discord app in the anti-virus settings, and reinstalling the Discord application.
You have to try all of these solutions step-by-step in order to troubleshoot the error.
There can be a bunch of different factors causing this error including corrupted files, and your anti-virus.
We have compiled a complete list of different troubleshooting solutions in this blog post. So, you can easily troubleshoot the error.
Tell us in the comments section below, which method worked out for you.